Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm no domestic goddess!

Okay, I think I should give up the "Domestic Goddess" title. I'm certainly no goddess when it comes to house work. A domestic goddess would have a sparkling clean home, and know all the tricks of the trade for getting out difficult stains, making the home smell nice and having the softest bath towels and the most clean crisp sheets. Not me, I'm a stay at home Mum (not stay at home maid) who figures since I'm home most often I'll pick up most of the house hold chores, it seems only fair since I'm here anyway, and hubby goes off to work hard for a living. 
Anyway, one of my responsibilities is to do the laundry, this includes sorting, washing, hanging, ironing and sewing on buttons etc. My only request is that the clothes be placed in the laundry basket, not left on the floor for me to collect, and I like all pockets emptied before hand. Now a domestic goddess would probably check the pockets herself, not me, I loath it. Ew! I hate the thought of putting my hand into a pocket not knowing what I'll find in there. There is nothing worse when a family member has had a cold and you pull from the pocket a bunch of scrunched up snotty tissues! Besides have you noticed how many pockets are on a pair of pants these days, there's front pockets, back pockets, coin pockets, half-way-down-to-your-knees pockets. It would take me all day to do a load of jeans and trousers! So everyone is told to check their pockets or else I claim all valuable items including toys and cash.

I always know when someone has left something in their pockets, the ting, ting, ting sound coming from the washing machine is a dead give away, my ears have become finely tuned and I can tell the difference between coins, toys, and work site scrap like screws and nails. The worst thing though is a quiet machine, just when you think everything is okay, you find your clothes covered in tiny bits of tissue, or paper receipts.  

The other day I discovered something new. The washing machine stopped, I opened up the lid and a lovely aroma floated out, there's nothing like the smell of fresh clean laundry. But my senses told me that something wasn't quite right. The laundry smelt fresh, a little too fresh, instead of the usual floral scent, it smelt more like mint, yes, minty fresh. I had used a new fabric softener that day so I checked the label 'Jasmine Fresh', hmm, nope this didn't smell like jasmine. I proceeded to take the laundry from the machine. "What's that blue stuff"? I saw little bits of blue through out the washing, I sniffed it, minty, I touched it, sticky! CHEWING GUM!!! ARGH!!!
I had bright blue chewing gum all over the jeans. I didn't have to search for the culprit, since I rarely have chewing gum and the kids are too young, there was only one other person who could take the blame. I decided there was no point in ranting and raving. I guess I learnt my lesson and from now on I'm checking the pockets, I wont stick my hand in there but I'll give them a squeeze from the outside. But don't worry, the offender will also learn a lesson, I might also put my sewing skills to use......and sew those dam pockets closed! ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment